PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS postings: any discretion over postings?
Old 19th Aug 2013, 20:30
reportyourlevel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yahoo: No, of course they won't.

This is a forum where members ask for advice, others give it and other members give their opinion on matters that are raised, which is exactly what I and HD have done.
I wouldn't dream about offering advice on something I didn't know about. I think you are giving poor advice, in a reasonably holier-than-thou manner, on a subject you are, at best, not fully up to date with. I appreciate why you feel the need to participate here, but please try to see that giving people career advice (and therefore potentially altering the course of their lives) based on the way it was years ago when you first started out is neither appropriate nor useful. Your defence of "my views are valid too" doesn't cut it when their basis is flawed.

As a grandparent of children ranging from 16 to 2, all six of whom I love dearly, I have no desire to be involved in their regular care and neither does my wife. In fact she feels more strongly about this than I do, she says often ' I have had 3 children, it was my job to look after them, I did not seek nor did I get help from my parents so that I could work and more to the point I had more satisfaction from being a mum than any career could have given me'. That is her view and it may be different to many of you here - BUT it is equally valid.
I doubt many grandparents share that view, I think it's probably quite old-fashioned. Certainly among the ones I know, most are involved in caing for their grandchildren regularly. Not just to allow their children to work, but it's actually great for the grandkids too. My preschooler knows more about gardening than I ever will, because she spends lots of time helping her grandad in his garden. I think the days of an hour a week at granny's on a Sunday are gone, or at least going.

I have dozens of friends, roughly my age, from my flying and controlling days and I am scratching my head to think of more than one couple where both felt they had to pursue a career.
I too have dozens of friends, some with kids. Most, no, all of them have worked hard to get where they want in life. Maybe they don't HAVE to pursue a career, but WANT to. I can certainly understand that; the saisfaction I get from my career is immense.

Frankly, it doesn't bother me what you think. What does bother me is when you try to influence someone's decision with flawed advice based on outdated reasoning. If someone thinks ATC is what thy want to do then we, as a profession, are obliged to encourage them.

Edit for spelling.

Last edited by reportyourlevel; 19th Aug 2013 at 20:33.