PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Sacks Captain Goss
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2013, 20:08
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew with an independently minded captain in the days when in a charter airline the captain was commander, decision maker of everything, bottle washer et al. We were doing a charter for a legacy carrier who had dispatchers who decided the fuel. On a short sector from home base, with fog at destination, the captain ordered round trip fuel, much to the annoyance of the dispatcher, who questioned the decision, much to annoyance of the captain. A written explanation was required. The captain wrote "ME." The dispatcher then asked what Mike Echo was code for. The captain stuffed 4 rigs under his nose. The fog delays and holding caused many to be out of schedule and long delays for re-fuelling. We had enough fuel and left on time from destination. Lesson learnt. There's more to fuel than just a few € at the end of your nose. The rest of the day stayed on schedule and no costs for delays, cancellations, missed connections etc. etc. We are a customer service industry. Let's keep it that way. Too many managers forget that and think we are only a bonus/profit generating industry. The attitude is that if it is cheap enough there will always be enough suckers.
Market/competition forces will always be at work. it may take longer than sooner, but quality will always survive.