PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's your best Mess?
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2013, 19:50
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was a very lucky boy, well, a very lucky C130 Aircraft Ground Engineer. Allocated to a route that had all the looks of " something to be forgotten very quickly". Our task, take some "boffins" to Ascension Island so that they could observe something. On completion of their observations, bring them home. Nothing special, ASI would give us the opportunity to uplift some South African Port, and Castle beer to bring home. Off we went.

The usual, night stop Dakar southbound, with a planned Banjul night stop on the way back. It was only on arrival at ASI that OC Ops, at the time an Albert Captain, explained the reason for our visit, and the presence of all the American reconnaissance hardware on the pan. The latest phase of British Trident missile was about to be tested, before acceptance into the British Nuclear arsenal (or was it Man Utd)? Anyway I diverge, as usual, ASI was in fact the target for the trial and the missile was fired as I remember from the Carribean.

Come the night and all of the crew, including my non commissioned self, were invited to witness the event from the Officers Mess. What a night. The place was full of people who knew every in and out of Nuclear warfare that I had ever heard. Certainly several G & Ts were quaffed, during briefings and advice from experts, but sitting watching the "dummy" warheads "MIRV" over our heads, exactly on time, was the most sobering thing I have ever seen. If you ever see it, all you can think is "Jesus, if this was for real, I'm a goner". The post apocalypse party was tremendous, as one of the survivors I was able to claim my extra ration. A sight I will never forget, people I will never forget. An Officers Mess I will always remember with respect and gratitude for an experience I could never dream of having.

Smudge