PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheesed off! but perhaps for the better good in the long run?!
Old 19th Aug 2013, 15:30
RyanRs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheesed off! but perhaps for the better good in the long run?!

So, got my wings a few months ago, went through two training schools at two different airfields as my instructor quit two thirds into my training. Learnt solely in a cessna 152 and since gaining my PPL i have flown yet more 152's and a 150 Aerobat a few times. These aircraft are owned by my training school and therefore procedures did not change after gaining my licence! (it just got £30 an hour cheaper to fly).

Anyway, so in my Local airfield (where i originally started my PPL) there is a PA28-181 Archer 2 owned by a private owner who runs a group of about 28 members. My previous instructor is the owners friend and trusted 'check-ride' chief which was a bonus to me as it meant i could get on the group quite easily. So, got up in the PA28, did 55 minutes of PFL, stalls, 2 touch'n'go's, cockpit familiarisation, pre-flight checks etc etc Also in this hour i had to learn the tech logs, payment methods, removing and stowing the AC cover, filling the oil, A Garmin GMA340 audio panel and any other things that are 'extra' to that particular group/AC. I then did 3 T'n'G's solo and then got checked off and given membership to the group.

So, book up my first flight as PIC with a friend joing me for the journey. Just a simple trip to lydd for a coffee then back to base with some sight seeing on the way. Soon as i got approx 15 miles away from base i noticed something wrong with the radio. It was full of noise, could barely hear incoming RT's and while transmitting i could hear myself very distorted. This was incredibly distracting and was painful on the ears as i could not squelch out the hiss/crackle but had to have the Vol up to hear any incoming RX! I get to Lydd who know i am having issues but due to my PPR call, knew my intentions to visit. At Lydd the chief flying examiner had a look at the radio, preformed a few tests and confirmed there was a fault -he suggested ariel.
So, flew back to base -unfortunately now due to arrive 20 minutes late, radio still terrible. I land the AC and park it back in in its location neatly. It was about 50'c + in the cockpit and both me and my pax was desperate to get out! i did my shut-down procedure, switches off, control locks in. got out, did tech log, re-fitted cover and left the A/C in good condition afaik.
So, two days later i get an email from the owner telling me he is not happy!!
Due to a few factors ie, 50'c+ heat in the cockpit, Lack of experience with the AC (2.5 hours vs 60 in a cessna), the stress of the radio issues, being Late on my first time returning the thing and finally trying so hard to leave a good impression on the owner, it led me to make a few mistakes!
Basically i :-
Left the seatbelts untidy -something i never usually do!
Left four switches on (but not the master) -American switches, i turned them off, but can remember looking back that i turned them back on again as i exited the cockpit after looking them and thinking they was actually in the 'On' position!
Left the throttle friction tight -however i had not used this at all!
Flew an hour on just the Left tank, however i did forget to change tanks after 30min but i did select Right tank before arriving in the ATZ of base, i re-selected Left tank after shutdown.
Left the driver door unlocked (never had to lock a door in 60hours of training -habbit!)
And i left the excess straps on the A/C cover loose and not tucked in -This i was not told about in my check ride as the instructor told me to go to the ATM for his payment whilst he re-fitted the cover!!

As for the radio, the owner claims i had it set up wrong (its got two radio boxes and a garmin control panel) and thats why i was having issues, however the CFE at Lydd is trained in garmin products and even he said there was a problem. Also, i know for a fact that the radio has been temperamental as it recently went to Southend for repairing!

Anyway, all this led me to get banned from ever using it again and i feel its bloody unfair! its also put me right off flying -especially now as i am stuck with club planes, expensive yearly memberships and silly 28 day check-ride rules!

However. I am now thinking that there may be light at the end of the tunnel. I have landed a new job which pays quite well , in the 50k region to make it easier to explain my situation as i know some people on here consider good pay as triple that. But what i am considering is purchasing a PA28 with a small group of friends and running my own small non-profit group. I have done an amount of research and i see i can expect to cough up approx £10,000 per year for the a/c with approc 40~50 hours flying included in that. However, i dont know how up-to-date the info is to which i read my research from.

I am looking at buying a PA28-180R Arrow with IFR gear. The reason behind owning a Complex + IFR kitted plane is that i can add these ratings to my PPL without having to pay extra to hire an adequately equip aircraft. Also it will mean more economical flying and less on the ground time due to bad VFR conditions.

This way I have My own AC! that i can take pride in and enjoy without ever feeling like i'm under constant scrutiny. I would like to progress to an ATPL eventually and i feel this could be the best and poss cheapest way in the long run to build them hours and ratings up! (obv within limits of SEP).

What's everyone's opinions on this anyway? Am i a messy pup and deserve to be banned from that PA28? or was this unfair as i feel it is? And how about ownership? do i sound like i could be on to something? or am i really showing my lack of inexperience here?

Thanks for the honest opinions and sorry for the essay!
Ryan