PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good or bad idea for airlines?
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2003, 17:43
OBK!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good or bad idea for airlines?

I have just been thinking about minimum requirements that airlines ask. Most people have something to argue about the minmum requirements such as age limits, specific education requirements, hours in your log book etc. Most people also think that it should all boil down to how devoted you are to becoming a pilot.

A few months ago Britannia offered sponsorship and they had some requirements that sparked off some debate. They wanted something like a maximum of 15 hrs flying experience, preferably none, and ideally a degree. Many would question "what does this proove about the ideal canidate". He or she might not even know whether they like flying should they have no experience. He/she might not bit fit enough to pass a medical etc etc.

Anyway, to the point, I have been thinking of an idea which airlines could use...see what you think.

Should an airline come to offer sponsorship, they are obviously sunk under a lot of applications. Many from those who just think "ahh well, I have the minimum requirements, might aswell give it a go". My method I think will immediately reduce those piles of applications into one...."committed applicants".

Basically, why not have minimum requirements like the following:

- aged 18 - 30 on application
- holder of a JAA/UK PPL with maximum of 200 hrs total time
- Passed all JAA ATPL exams

Now the airline knows that all those that have applied have chipped in there own money for the studies, and are all academically fit for the job. Instead of receiving loads of applications from people who might not fit a pilots personality etc etc. The airline actually actually knows that all these applicants are comitted, and it is only a small fortune for the applicant, say £3,000 for ATPL exams (£6,000 at Oxford blah blah blah)...quite a lot cheaper than a uni degree?

What do you guys think? It's only a suggestion so don't start a flame please!