PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Procuring new aircraft
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2013, 08:20
Biggus

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
Yes, everyone else has the same problems in terms of built in obsolescence after protracted development times. However, I would make a couple of comments on this point:

At post 4 gr4techie asked if it was true that the Nimrod MR2 was more up to date than the MRA4 (which I noticed nobody has yet answered), the answer is yes and no. Overall the MRA4 was a far more technically advanced design (in terms of avionics), but, because of the long development time, during which the MR2 received some updates, some of the individual systems in the MR2 were more advanced - for example the EO system. The EO system for the MRA4 was procured some when pre 2000 (anyone remember Nimrod 2000?) and presumably sat on a shelf for 10+ years before being installed. In the meantime the MR2 got an EO update several years later with a more advanced system (I think from the same company). I believe one of the many issues with the introduction of the MRA4 was that it would need a mid-life update just after entry into service - but I could be wrong, I wasn't that close to the project. But advances in technology, perhaps the introduction of a new comms system, during the long development of a new aircraft, can mean it needs updating also as soon as its introduced to be compatible with the rest of your assets.

Another issue is spares procurement, and the need for lifetime buys. Long development times can result in Company A, who make that vital widget for your aircraft, deciding it doesn't want to make them any more. This means you now have to go out and buy enough stock to last your fleet (exact size almost certainly unknown) to last it's entire life (also almost certainly unknown - but probably longer than you think) while fighting to justify the expenditure with the army of bean-counters and politicians who generally have most sway over the project.