PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Renewal in Simulator or aircraft
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2013, 07:15
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
----- seem to think the local aeroclub's synthetic trainer counts as a simulator.
-FTS,
As do some FOIs, given what they approve in the name of "simulation".

Hence my previous post, about the "approval" of a desktop piece of junk to "demonstrate" Chieftain asymmetric performance, and pilot competence in such critical sequences.

It is beyond all reason that such nonsense should count in such sequences --- but it was all directed to be done by CASA FOI (s) with a device typical of what a 10 yer old has at home.

As I said previously, FOIs seem to be unaware of CAR 60, and, it seems to me that, in a practical sense you can categorize many present CASA approved "FTD/FS as;

(1) Should never have been approved for anything, or;
(2) Should no longer be approved, but still is, or;
(3) Has been approved in a category well above where it should have been,(in my opinion the various
Redbird" devices fall in to this category, an FAA AATD being classified here, in some cases, as a "simulator")
(4) And then there are the kosher systems that I have seen that seem to be not favored by CASA,
(5) And, finally, the kosher Level Ds --- that are properly maintained, so the fidelity meets the CAR 60 standards.

Not all CASA approved Level D's meet the above, from my experience.

A question that must be asked, how much longer is it going to be before CASA picks up the new ICAO standards (details in a previous post) the "project" started about 5 years ago. What's the delay, all you need to do is a quick rewrite of CAR 60 to just refer to the ICAO standards as "the standards" for FSTDs.

The new ICAO classifications (as a result of an international collaboration managed by RAeS --- so that should take care of the "anti-US at any cost" brigade) is far more sensible and simple than FSD-1/FSD-2/CAR 60 ---- maybe that's the problem, it is all too simple, sane, sensible and very workable for CASA to be interested.

Tootle pip!!

Last edited by LeadSled; 19th Aug 2013 at 07:22.