PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's your best Mess?
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2013, 01:33
si.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boulmer was always an interesting place, despite almost all the regular personnel going home on Friday, just as we arrived to run courses for local Air Cadets / adult staff. The bar was rather quiet with just half a dozen of us, but the duty crew from 202 sometimes joined us for lunch. (I think they took pity on us, surrounded by all our friends!...)

I vividly recall my first evening in the bar at Machrihanish one weekend, as a rather junior Pilot Officer (with a note from home allowing me to stay out that night), when staffing an Air Cadet Summer Camp. A member of mess staff came in asking for me, requesting I contact the guardroom asap. One phone call later, and I was informed the SDO had been injured, and was on route to Campbelltown hospital."Who did I want to inform?" "What action did I want to take?" I suggested the Gaurdroom contact the most senior officer available, who would be able to either deputise for the SDO, or appoint another. "We just did...!"

Attending camps or courses were often enjoyable, simply because the messes were full during the week...