PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2013, 23:34
tubby linton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 10-9s chart published by Jepp for KBHM has two notes associated with the LOC approach for RW18. The first is that Minima is based on a CDFA, the second states that the approach is not authorised at night. This may be operator specific to our coverage but I thought most European operators are now using this.
Thank you for the education as to what the strobes are called. It has been a while since I read the Airway manual text. I don't remember seeing them in the clip posted of an approach onto this runway.
You seem to have decided from your personal experience that this crew had enough information provided to them to manage a succesfull aproach and landing but if so why did they fail in this task? Why were they ignoring the Papi and why were they slightly east of the centre line?
I am not sure what you mean by published altitude. You have to get low to land a friend of mine says and that means descending below MDA/DA at some point.
This aircraft has a fully functioning Radalt on both PFDs. It also has auto call out of pre programmed heights. If EGPWS was fitted they should have had a warning about approaching terrain in the undershoot, but only the Sink Rate warning has been disclosed.
I still stand by my assertion that there are charting discepancies at this airport.

Last edited by tubby linton; 18th Aug 2013 at 23:45.