PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DONCASTER SHEFFIELD
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2013, 23:13
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, in regards to facilities such as getting food/drink, newspapers etc, they are only open certain hours of the day which means when some flights depart, there is absolutely nowhere to buy these things from. The Costa Coffee outlet shut a long time ago, as in the winter, some days they were getting no customers at all.
Catch 22 situation, not enough customers to keep these kind of facilities open, but then when you do have customers, there is nowhere for them to buy things from.
My mum flew from the airport about a month ago, in the afternoon with 2 other flights departing at a similar time, and the Wetherspoons, W H Smiths and Duty Free were all closed, and after finding a member of staff, they basically confirmed it was because it wasn't financially viable for them to stay open for long periods.
They've also just got rid of the wifi facilities to cut costs.
A lesson from my former stomping ground? The only group ever to make money at PIK were the original owners who brought everything in house. Hence facilities were all offered for a marginal cost, all a bit rough and ready of course but it kept the terminal alive and the people fed. Of course Management Nonsense 1.01 was to outsource to professional retailers like WHS and allow high street brands into the business? Result? All went badky wrong when Ryanair moved a lot of business to EDI and many facilities closed.
K-I-S-S Keep it simple stupid.