PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2013, 22:45
tubby linton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The note on the standar minima page for KBHM states that the LOC procedure is not to be used at night.I compared it to other LOC procedures at different airfield and it seem specific to KBHM.
The provision of approach lighting would draw your vision towards the runway threshold and the rest of the runway surface. At Gatwick when they are using the standby runway two strobes are used to draw the pilots vision towards the runway threshold.
The only airfield I operate into at night without approach lights is Corfu on RW 17 but the runway stands out well as there is little lighting around it.
The argument is not about how I would fly the approach differently but the fact that the basic underlying terrain and obstace survey is not homogemous across the charts and is depicted differently by two different charting agencies. When was the last terrain and obstacle survey completed? I would also like to know the tolerances of the + and minus against one of the heights.
I have been wondering why a LOC was specified for this runway and I can only think it has been used to provide the necessary accuracy to funnel an aircraft into a path between the numerous obstacles. The RNAV approach is purely GPS and does not allow DME/DME 0.3 as I would imagine that it is not accurate enough.

Last edited by tubby linton; 18th Aug 2013 at 22:54.