PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPAS discussion thread: Mk 3
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2013, 21:35
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Mr.B;
Cabby - The problem here is that SS posts rubbish for the sake of stirring rubbish. It's quite clear once you wipe away the rubbish.
Here's my rubbish as you put it, in a practical sense.
(Windsor, this may also be of interest to you)

Let's say I have worked out that I can carry 490kg of fuel to get up to my MAUW of 2910kg. If I lift with 400kg, all well and good, right up until the point at which just as the misper/ rear garden / large area search is coming to an end, the call comes for a pursuit on the M40/42 and the report on the vehicle originates from Manchester. This is when 'the feeling' starts.

After the past hours flying I'm now down to about 200kg total, around 140kg (40 mins) day / 110 kg (32 min) night, 'available' for tasking + rtb/refuel.

20 minutes later, just north of Stafford, I have 20 mins of fuel left day, 10 mins night (bingo). At night I can go no further north for fuel, but I can always pop into Stafford. During the day, I have reached a point of no return and can continue the pursuit as long as the speed is kept up and after handover to NPASNW, I can zap straight into Manchester for fuel in order to get back home.

Now then Mr. B, how much better would it have been if I had that extra 90 kg (25 min) of fuel on board?

at 90kg passenger makes sweet FA difference in the grand scheme of things
I beg to differ!