PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2013, 19:23
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wiggy! Many thanks for these 'screen shots' along with those contributed to the Ferranti thread!

I think this is the first mentioning of G-ASEH on 'Nostalgia' so this is a great find. Great too to see the 'Air Gregorius' offices at Denham as well as the colourful shots of ASEH both at Denham and at Battersea. As it happens, in the 70's, Battersea had similar buildings to those seen at Denham.

Air Gregory .. 60's .. I think this was the 'era' when Gay Absolosm flew with them.

G-ASEH ended-up in the hands of Roger Hans Everett of Romsey, Hampshire, although it is a 'Major Roger Cyril Hans Sloane Stanley' who is shown in some records as being the owner of the Paultons Estate to where the craft was registered. Prior to Everett, G-ASEH was listed with BEAS (from 1963-66).

Keeping step with the recent Brantly/Alouette offerings ..

Sud-Est SE3130 Alouette II F-BNKZ in the company of Brantly B-2B G-ASHD as seen at White Waltham on 13th August 1966 (Photo: RA Scholefield)

Both F-BNKZ and G-ASHD have featured previously on Nostalgia .. "KZ" being the 'well known' Alouette from the 60's TV series 'The Prisoner' (see page 44) and ASHD having belonged to Pontin's (see page 43).

A year after RA Scholefield's photo (above) .. F-BKNZ became G-AVEE and was registered (as can be seen from the logo on the craft's fuselage) to RBA Helicopters of 'St, Mary's Butts' (yes, St. Mary's Butts!) of Berkshire. Well .. I too was somewhat surprised at this questionable place name .. especially on a Sabbath .. until I discovered that: "In the Middle Ages, Edward IV made it compulsory for all yeomen in England to learn archery. Archery butts were set up on the land in front of the Minster Church of St Mary the Virgin. It was used by the adult males of Reading to practice on Sundays. The archers who used St Mary's Butts were amongst the English bowmen who fought at Battle of Agincourt. In 1631 the town paid £3 to stop the practising of archery in the town."

Oh .. and an 'archery butt'? 'Tis "an archery practice field, with mounds of earth used for the targets. The name originally referred to the targets themselves, but over time came to mean the platforms that held the targets as well. For instance, in Shakespeare's Othello, V,ii, 267 mentions "Here is my journey's end, here is my butt".

(At least when the missus complains that you spend too much time on PPRuNe, you can genuinely inform her that it is .. 'educational'!).

And .. (not that one should normally commence a sentence such) to bring the discourse full-circle .. subsequent to her time with RBA Helicopters, G-AVEE moved on to Air Gregory where she remained until 1973.