PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2013, 17:58
MPN11

Received 146 Likes on 67 Posts
Nothing sexist, I assure you - worked with WRAF Controllers from Day 1. But when the flight deck is stressed, I can imagine there's nothing nicer that a competent female controller bringing you home for beer and medals. Sadly I could only offer a Surrey accent, competence and then ... being ignored.

Even on serious sh1t days, or really hazardous circumstances, even getting a "Thank You" on Talkdown was rare. However, I recognise that the adrenalin in the cockpit probably over-rided everything else. I forgive you all

There's a pair of totally screwed up Lightnings from Binbrook who still owe SATCO Waddington a case of wine for digging them out of the sh1t on their quickest quickie ever. They could fly it, I could control it, and IIRC they crept on to the edge of the PAR at about 3.5 miles ... at around 1000 ft, for RW 03, carefully missing Harmston Church spire. They were the only pilots I really heard getting close to panic on the RT.

And when it was over, I had to look at the rest if the Approach Room and say "Don't you EVER let me see you doing controlling like that". But then I had a bit of experience controlling "Mr Fuel Shortage" over the years.

Last edited by MPN11; 18th Aug 2013 at 18:01.