PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bourn Airfield Development
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2013, 17:49
Among The Living!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started this thread to make other GA pilots aware of the plight of Bourn Airfield, not to start a debate about the quality of facilities at various airfields around the country or to begin a debate about the Nations housing requirements. This post is aimed at those who are interested in helping to save yet another UK GA airfield which is under threat but not yet gone.

The reality of the situation is this: due to Government's current stance on housing and the current relaxed planning regulations, all GA and ex-military airfields in the UK are under threat from developers.

If you are involved in any aspect of aviation, you should be against the development of any active GA airfield. We, as the UK's aviation community, should stand together on this issue and act as one. It might be Bourn today and your local airfield tomorrow! That is a fact!

From my perspective, I find Bourn airfield to be one of the friendliest airfields in the country. Every pilot and aircraft is always welcome to visit Bourn. I have flown many types including turbo props into Bourn and I have never had an issue with the runways or facilities, in fact, my experiences have always been very positive. Whilst you may not be greeted by a red carpet, an attractive young lady offering you a selection of fruit teas and there is no fifty inch flat screen TV in the club house, Bourn is a fantastic, quaint and historic place (the way 99% of FLYING CLUBS used to be). If you want to be pampered and treated like an airline pilot or film star, pop down to TAG in FAB or Harrods at LTN.

GA is all about airfields like Bourn and it would be a crying shame to lose this wonderful and historic place.

If you are interested in keeping Bourn airfield alive, follow the STOP-BAD website and the Facebook pages. We are building strength against the development and anybody, I repeat anybody in the UK who wishes object to the proposed development through the South Cambs District Councils consultation process, is welcome to do so. The consultation process is open until the 30th of September 2013. You will find details and links below and more information will become available on the STOP-BAD website very shortly.

If you are interested in helping us to save Bourn that would be much appreciated, if not, that's no problem.

For those aviators who are prepared to help us save this active and historic airfield, check out the links below.

Good Hunting!

StopBAD

https://www.facebook.com/bourn.airfield.3

https://www.facebook.com/pages/BAD-F...086349?fref=ts