PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Renewal in Simulator or aircraft
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2013, 15:08
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No A/T, no FD and no A/P. And usually in a crosswind
a35757,
As a matter of interest, do you have a reference that says that if you are doing the IR test, (either initial and/or renewal) you can't use the above.
I ask, because I have done more than a few IF rating renewals over the years, right back to initial issue of what we now call a MECIR, and used all of the above.
Indeed, the last renewal I did that was all hand flown, with not A/T, F/D or autopilot was on a DC-3, which, of course, had none of the above, which rather dictated hand flying.

I think a few of you are getting 'simulator' and 'synthetic trainer' mixed up.
-FTS,
You mean like CASA FOIs get it mixed up.
Some of the CASA "approvals" for various "flight training devices" ( or as ICAO has called them all, for some time "Flight Simulator Training Devices -- Doc.9625, Issue 3 - AN938") are a dangerous disgrace. For example, "approving" a desk top device, where you are sitting on a couple of cheap plastic chairs not even fixed to the floor) to demonstrate asymmetric competence, including EFATO, on something like a Chieftain. The CASA paperwork refers to this toy as a "simulator".
There are "CASA approved" "simulators" around that are still "flying" on concessions against FSD-1. It seems that CAR 60 is a bit of a mystery to more than a few FOIs.
Tootle pip!!

Last edited by LeadSled; 18th Aug 2013 at 15:31.