PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Renewal in Simulator or aircraft
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2013, 10:28
Cravenmorehead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Josephmfeatherweight. Unfortunately if you don't have an aid on your licence you have to demonstrate proficiency in the aircraft.
I had a similar dilemma with NDB. My rating expired outside the 12 months limit ie it was 18 months since my last renewal. So I Di a Navex to Mareeba from Cairns and did the VOR approach there then hooked around the arc and did the 15ILS into Cairns with failures and a holding pattern at Mareeba-you gotta do a holding pattern.
I did a DME Arrival in a simulator. This gave me ILS VOR DME and a current rating all up cost around$ 1000.00. Including an FOI A bloody good bloke sadly persecuted by CASA of late.
I did it in a Senecca 1 and had not flown one for 25 years- mostly I have been on jets and Turbo props- but I wanted my rating back. I played around on flight sim on bug smashers, downloaded a manual and sat in the aircraft and just familiarised myself with the critter.
Next renewal back 12 months later I asked if I could get the NDB onto the rating and the answer was only if I did it in the aircraft, a simulator was not good enough as it would have constituted a rating. So I would say the same would apply to you.
Getting only VOR or NDB, not both, raises the question as to whether you can do a DME arrival with tracking guidance on an aid you are not rated on hmmmmm..
Don't get me onto GNNS approaches and getting that onto your raing if you have been out of the Aussie system for awhile jeez. I agree with Wally and sled Australia is pretty inflexible- being nice.
Always craving

Last edited by Cravenmorehead; 18th Aug 2013 at 10:30.