PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Still at the pointy end ?
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2013, 08:48
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BV,

Thanks for that, I'm not specifically looking at Herk Ops, its just an interest in how the RAF has changed in the years since I left. I do not have a lot of contact with current personnel.

5F6B,

Thanks for that, and having spent time at Raider base, and had the luxury of the hotel, I'm pretty sure modern accommodation can be quite good. It certainly sounds as though you see little difference across the years. Obviously, techniques and practises developed over years are fairly sound on that basis. I do think though that some I know who have left felt that workloads had increased and they were spending more time away than in the past, due in the main to reductions in personnel. From a Groundcrew point of view, there are now a lot more "contracted out" non service people around a unit. Does that make any major differences to support for ops ?

Scottie,

Point taken, and the last thing I would want anyone to do is risk any censure for commenting on PPRUNE.

The Oberon,

Now that sounds like a big difference from my day. As a C130 GE we had a section of 32 personnel, all Sgts and Chf Techs. Our boss was a Flt Sgt who reported directly to OC Ops (even though we belonged to Eng Wg). I wonder from your experience if when they reduced manpower they retained more Commissioned posts and therefore had to redistribute the Officer Corps accordingly.

Thanks for responding to my OP chaps, I'm certain that PPRUNE is a place where we can all learn something, and a bit of banter can be had.

Smudge