PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Still at the pointy end ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2013, 22:36
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still at the pointy end ?

I left the RAF some 16 years ago after 30 years service. I suspect that since leaving, my understanding of changes made and new practises may have changed the service beyond my cognisance. A recent post highlighted that many current service personnel may shun PPRUNE military on the grounds that its inhabited by old codgers. I, like many of the old codgers, I'm sure, would like to hear what life in the modern RAF is like, what challenges face our crews involved in all aspects of operational and support flying ? Whats it like to support modern operations as groundcrew ? How different is it, really, from days gone by. Obviously, I'm not asking anyone to run foul of the OSA but maybe we may find that there's not a huge separation between days gone by and now, as suggested elsewhere. I for one wonder how much C130 Tasking and operations have changed since my days as a GE. I'm sure there are others (ex) who wonder "how goes the old job". I'm hoping we can get some input from current personnel, who probably could highlight the realities of modern service. If its dead in the water, then at least we gave it a go.

Smudge