PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2013, 09:08
sidishus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I am a low time/high wing pilot myself...But spend a pretty fair amount of time in heavy iron cockpit jumpseats for Day Job. Actually have a, "I learned about CFIT from that" story when I was once in the jumpseat of a tired DC-9 with an even more tired crew dealing with a last minute change to BHM RWY 1 (that was how long ago this was...its since been redesignated to 36/18) night arrival, due to a pranged check runner Aerostar on the long runway that I can share....

Also flew light GA aircraft into BHM back then too and routinely landed on the north south runway. The terrain was actually alot more scary back then on that north end.

Anyway...Just for historical perspective, in the late '80s the high terrain on the north end of the north south runway, and the east end of what was then 7/25 was considered unsafe and an impediment to growth at the airport. Indeed 1/19 didnt even have an instrument approach from the north as I remember. So the city bought the property where the crash site is and also on the east side of the field and scraped off a massive amount of both hills. Took a number of years to complete the project. This allowed extensions to be added to both runways and an approach from the north to be implemented (and I also think enough obstacle clearance for a CATII to the east as well if memory serves correctly).

The area where the crash site is was actually some of the earliest settled part of the city and was dotted with houses. There was one house that was dismantled which turned out to be an extension of one of the earliest built dwellings in the community, and which had been added onto and absorbed in a larger structure. So, the speculation that the houses were built on the north side after the airport was is incorrect.

As for my CFIT experience, it was the ridgeline of Red Mountain on the south side of town that nearly got us in that DC-9 into some twisted knickers (this was not too long after the AAL crash in Cali BTW).

And I'll tell yah...Don't ever think it can't happen to you.

Last edited by sidishus; 17th Aug 2013 at 09:35.