PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2013, 01:13
Murexway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That assumes the obstruction clearance analysis was done correctly and the certification requirements were actually met for this approach ? Can you verify that ?
Yes

IF the Google Earth elevation data is accurate, then flying this approach on a 3.20 degree PAPI WILL take you to within 55 feet of terrain at just over 1/2 mile from the runway when you are 255 feet above threshold elevation.
Real pilots don't rely on Google Earth.

If in your "opinion" you think that this is an acceptable risk to take in a large widebody aircraft, flying at 170 knots, 55 feet over terrain 1/2 mile final, in total darkness, then so be it. Apparently the FAA agrees with you (assuming they didn't screw up when they certified it), in which case I say you are both nuts.
These are not my figures - they're yours.

Now maybe the Google elevation data is in error, or I've made a calculation error (I doubt it), then by all means please correct my data. But don't tell me it's your "opinion" that just because the FAA says it's safe means that it really is.
Nothing in life is totally safe, including aviation.

And yes I have read every post in this thread. Have you ?
Yes

Now I have a question for you. Are you a professional pilot, type-rated in any commercial jet aircraft?

Last edited by Murexway; 17th Aug 2013 at 01:14.