PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2013, 21:41
mixduptransistor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, just watched about half of today's NTSB press conference. The biggest news was that they have good data on both the CVR and the FDR. On the CVR, something like 10-20 seconds (don't quote the time until I/you re-watch the press conference) before the end of the recording the plane called out "SINKRATE". The captain was flying. They interviewed the controller and he saw a "bright flash" that looked "like lightning" that he believes was prior to the actual impact into the ground (I personally think this is the plane hitting the trees/powerlines). Finally they said BHM has software in the control tower that is supposed to alert if a plane is dropping too fast and that it did NOT alert in the tower.

And some people were talking earlier about how long that runway has been there. 6/24 has been there since the 30s, and 18/36 has been there since the very early 50s from what I can tell. There was a pretty big noise abatement buyout project funded by the FAA about 10 years ago, and of course since then there have continuously been people that were outside the project that have been complaining to get their homes bought out. Those neighborhoods are low-income already and most of those homes are probably sub $50,000 value.