PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2013, 21:17
-JC-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing particular unusual about it, there are many airports with similar "hills" in immediate runway vicinity (for example RNO).
I'm only talking about the last mile of the approach. As I mentioned earlier regarding Aspen and Telluride, and now Reno, yes terrain is a factor but not close to the runway (within 1nm) as is the case with runway 18 at BHM. From what I can see at RNO, with runways that have published instrument approaches, the terrain rises about 40 feet above the threshold elevation within a mile, and all these runways have significantly displaced thresholds.

The important point is that minimum vis for this approach is 1 mile so they would clearly see all the obstacles well in advance.
At night, when it's dark ?

Reports from pilots in this very thread appear to indicate it is not just another approach.

skysign: The last 1/2 to 1 mile you litteraly buze the hill all the ways down to the RWY. It is like doing a low flyby over a downhill slope to the rwy. Landing on 18, is like landing at the bottom of a bowl. And yes it is an " interesting approach " day or night !!!!!
It will be interesting to see what sort of briefing notes UPS provides their crews operating into this airport on runway 18 at night ? And whether or not the approach even meets certification requirements for night operations with large turbojet aircraft ?