PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2013, 20:01
JimField

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd suggest reading the FedEx 1478 report, which appears to have involved very similar circumstances, instead of amateurish interpretations of flawed data points. A large newspaper blundered by publishing a similar "analysis" of the Asiana 214 flightpath, only for it to be shown to be complete fiction.
Some important points-

Sooeet's flight path analysis of Asiana 214 coincides perfectly with the FDR data released by the NTSB which makes me think that Sooeet's analysis of UPS 1354 is also correct.

The NTSB report on FedEx 1478 basically says that the TLH accident was caused by crew error attributed to all 3 crew, and that black hole conditions may have been a contributing factor, as were crew fatigue and physiological factors, but that PAPI was indicating plain bright and simple FOUR-RED, and that the reason PAPI exists is to prevent these types of accidents, but all 3 crew overlooked the PAPI cues. And a similar thing probably happened to both pilots of UPS 1354.

What's wrong with this picture? Poor crew training? Overworked crews? It looks like a systemic problem if the recent rash of large airplanes falling out of the sky is any indication. The public has a right to know.

Reading NTSB accident reports many months after the accident is fine well and good, but I want to know what happened to UPS 1354 now, to the extent possible. I see no good reason to ignore all sources of information, and I will also read the NTSB AAR on UPS 1354 when it comes out many months from now.

More information is a good thing. We are talking about very serious public safety issues here. Just ask the hundreds of people whose houses are directly under or near the approach path to runway 18 at BHM.