PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2013, 19:21
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsa

.. between leaving school and joining the AAC in 77 ..
This is a little before your time but .. in case you worked with Scouts:

My godfather flew the prototype of the Scout (the P531):

Saunders-Roe P531 prototype of the Scout which was developed from the Skeeter

British Army Scout XR604 over a Kampong, Malaya in 1968 (Photo: Mike Edwards)

2 Flight Army Air Corps in Seremban, Malaya, 1968. A regretfully incomplete list of those photographed includes: Sgt John Smith, Cpl Nigel Tindale, Cpl Graham Kennedy, Cpl Stu Read, Cpl Len Allison, Cpl Froggy Keep (Photo: Mike Edwards)

A while back on this thread we saw a Navy 'Wasp' fitted with skids and no flotation gear .. well .. here's an Army Scout with flotation gear .. over Hong Kong!

The Scout was by all counts a study craft for I recall in the early 80's an incident at Wallop where a certain Bristow 47 took a 'liking' to a Scout by trying to land on top of it! The Scout flew again (IIRC) but the 47 was consigned to the scrap heap!

British Army Alouette II during the AAC Golden Jubilee seen with an AAC pilot on 25th May 2007

I was initially flummoxed by the medal worn by the driver in this photo being reminded of the Hong Kong Service Medal (which also had a blue and yellow ribbon) but .. after closer inspection the lass's version depicted a circle of stars around the medal's circumference and which was definitely not the case with the HKSM. It turns out instead to be the 'Common Security and Defence Policy Service Medal' awarded for participation in Operation Althea in Bosnia and Herzegovina!

Ericferret: Did you work on the AAC Alo II's?