PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana Crash Investigation
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2013, 17:42
TRF4EVR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The elephant in the room is that the children of the magenta are also likely never to have flown a visual approach under even the least challenging of conditions in anything larger than a 172. It's ludicrous, and while the Asians are on the "tip of the spear" when it comes to this fundamental failure to teach basic Airmanship, it's coming for the rest of us, too.

I've flown with F/Os who could recite the width of an ILS signal at 8.2 miles from rote (what? I don't know, who cares!), but could barely stay out of their own way with taxi instructions at a relatively uncrowded Class C airport. Call me a Luddite, but I'd rather fly with a guy who's done a few NDB approaches "in anger" flying a 208 than a guy who's Beat The System at Flight Safety on a Jet and has the memory items burned in to his cerebellum, but gets confused when you expect him to use the yoke. Our "training" system has become a self-perpetuating complex which has basically nothing to do with "training" or "safety", and everything to do with making more money.

For what they charge, you could BUY the kid a 172 to go out, make some mistakes, and actually learn something useful.

Last edited by TRF4EVR; 16th Aug 2013 at 17:44.