PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2013, 15:13
Danny42C

HughGw01,

I'm so sorry ! We've met before, haven't we ? And then I have to welcome you aboard for a second time ! Please put it down to a Senior Moment (I'm having a lot of them lately - though I've haven't reached the stage of going out without my trousers on - yet !)......D.

Smudgsmith and Union Jack,

Once again, thank you for your generous comments ! But always I must stress that there was nothing uniquely noble about my generation: we just happened to be there when war came along, somebody had to fight it, and there was no use looking around for anybody else. Long ago on this Thread, I was halted in my tracks by someone who wrote: "We each had to fight the war we were given".

I salute him (whoever it was) for he put his finger right on it. The whole nation had to "fight that war", although nobody wanted it and all had long feared it. Churchill (as always) said the right words: "This was their finest hour".

Jack, I'm honoured to return your salute - "Aye-aye, Sir"......D.

MPN11,

How right you are ! Sad to say, there was much truth in the "Forgotten Army" epithet, even if General Slim's caustic rider: "You've not been forgotten - it's just that no one's ever heard of you" is perhaps a little over the top.

Yet the Home Front may be forgiven. We were: "in a far off land of which we know little", and there was a lot going on in Europe at the time.

Looking forward eagerly to your interjection tonight (ten years is a long time)......D

As you see, Normal Transmission has been Resumed.

Greetings to you all four, Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 16th Aug 2013 at 15:19. Reason: Add U/Line