PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's your best Mess?
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2013, 14:21
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Bentley Priory circa 1999/2000. Happy hours with beer at 35p / pint, cocktails in the Italian gardens over looking London, a mad dog that scampered down the corridor but always forgot about the 90 degree turn so every evening you heard woof woof woof, scampering paws, thud, whimper whimper whimper, a Mess steward (Sandy IIRC) who was ex Royal Yacht and for whom nothing was too much trouble and Battle of Britain cocktail parties where there were more DFCs in one room than I've ever seen in the rest of my career.

Boulmer was an interesting place. Middle of nowhere, a beautiful beach and a lot of alcoholics (FC studes), one of whom (f) had clothes that always seemed to lose the battle with gravity and end up on the floor after some drunken dare.

Marham - contrary to MRAF's recollection, I thought it sucked. Middle of nowhere and very cliquey. When I was posted back in 2008 it had got even worse as the cliques that had propped the bar up had all gone, half the sqns never even made it round the peritrack to the other side of the stn and happy hour was commonly known as slightly less miserable hour. I lasted 6 weeks there before I bought a house and got out of dodge.

Not a Mess as such, but the VIP block in Baghdad was a rather nice place to be quartered for a war. Coffee, cake and internet on tap 24/7 and veranda overlooking the lake where you could sit out at night and watch the light and sound show courtesy of the Mahdi Army and Spectres / Spookies

Last edited by Melchett01; 16th Aug 2013 at 14:22.