PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's your best Mess?
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2013, 11:43
SOSL

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mentioned my best mess at #7 so this isn't strictly an answer to the OP, because it doesn't refer to my best mess just a bl00dy good one.

I had quite a few good experiences in all sorts of messes at all stages of my RAF career:

Back in the summer of 1972 I spent 3 months at the Rehab centre, RAF Headley Court, living in the officers' mess and being tortured, daily, in the gym.

One of the other inmates was an ex-RAF Victor pilot who had been shot down while flying for SOAF. He had good contacts with the hosties working for an airline based at Gatwick and he suggested that we (e.g. him, me and an Ethiopian QFI (back injury following ejection) who had all become friends) should have a small dinner with 3 of these hosties.

He invited the girls and spoke to the Flt Sgt Mess manager. We three pooled the money that we hadn't been spending for the past few months and organized a taxi for the ladies to and from.

They arrived after the normal dinner, for the other mess members, had finished and we had a great time having pre-dinner drinks in the mess bar (believe it or not one of the girls had Babycham). Then the Flt Sgt appeared, wearing his full Mess Kit and invited us into the dining room.

It was dark and all the tables had been moved to the sides of the room, except for one in the middle of the room which was beautifully set with crisp linen, a few pieces of mess silver, some flowers and a silver candelabra. The ladies were stunned.

The Flt Sgt (bear in mind this was in his own time) supervised our meal throughout, which consisted of Prawn Cocktail (well it was 1972!), the best Tournedos Rossini I remember and Baked Alaska.

We repaired to the bar and chilled out with brandy and liqueurs and choclates.

The girls finally left and I reflected on what might have happened if I hadn't had a plaster cast from thigh to ankle on my left leg and my arm in a sling.

I will always remember the generosity of the mess staff for creating such a magical moment for the six of us that evening.

The air round here is getting a bit dusty, best I log out.

Rgds SOS