PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Morse Code: (As a mind mover)
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2003, 06:41
ramsrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prince of Dzun

(1) Where to purchase a tape of morse code for listening practice?

I don't know where you are based, but if your country has a Radio Society then they probably produce practise tapes to enable people to learn Morse Code for Amateur radio. The RSGB (Radio Society of Great Britain) and the ARRL (American Radio Relay League) both produce such tapes.

(2) Where to purchase a morse sending key with noise maker to practise sending?

To get hold of a Morse key simply contact an Amateur Radio supplier in your area. They will also have "noise makers" or practise oscillators for sale, but it is fairly simple to build one for yourself.

(3) Who to contact for advice on the type of equipment that is needed for world coverage communication using morse?

Once again, find a local Amateur Radio supplier or alternatively build it yourself. The beauty of Morse is that it only takes a few easily obtained components to build a transceiver capable of world wide coverage.

(4) Does one need a " ham radio" licence to transmit and receive morse?

If you want to send Morse on a world coverage basis then the answer is most likely yes. A "class A" (CEPT Class 1) license allows the use of the amateur bands below 30MHz where most of the morse action takes place. To my knowledge there is nothing that would prevent you sending morse on another radio mode such as CB, but I don't expect there will be anyone to hear you, and you certainly won't be able to communicate world wide.

(5) Is there an organisation for morse code enthusiasts?

Not as far as I know, although I may be wrong. Many of the radio clubs and societies have morse sections, but as I far as I know there is no society dedicated purely to Morse. (I stand to be corrected on this!)

Many years ago I qualified for a first class radio oprators licence(part of ALTP) at 14 words per minute
I am sure that it will come back to you. I am told that it is much like riding a bike. Once you have learnt you will never forget, it may take practise to bring it back, but it is still there. Another comforting thought is that these days many countries have brought their Morse speed requirement down from 12wpm to 5wpm.

If you have any more questions then drop me a private e-mail and as a Radio Amateur myself I will do my best to help you.