PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paradox of constant speed propeller
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2013, 02:43
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you're getting your gearboxes mixed up. A CS prop doesn't have a gearbox, it has bob weights that move with relation to prop speed. There's only a limited amount of movement which is why at low throttle openings the prop spins slowly rather than at 2400rpm or whatever you have selected.

I fly a 182 and on take off it's full throttle and fine pitch; get off the ground to a safe height and back to 23 inches on the manifold and 2450 rpm, however the rpm will be at around 2450 anyway so basically you just leave the prop where it is for climb. Cruise is whatever you want although I fly at 22 squared which is 22 inches manifold and 2200 rpm, reducing the manifold first. This gives around 120 kts depending on weight.

The descent is where you have to plan ahead a bit. Reduce manifold pressure an inch and start a 500' minute descent. Every minute reduce the manifold pressure by one inch. Eventually you will get to the point where the prop has reached it's stops and the rpm will start to fall. If you plan this correctly you should just be turning downwind and you know it's safe to go full fine on the prop which is what you want at this point.

The prop control isn't something that's fiddled with throughout the flight, on a normal A to B flight you would probably touch it twice.

The simple way to remember the sequence is PTTP. Power ie an increase in power is pitch then throttle. Decrease in power is throttle then pitch.

You can really feel the effect of a CS prop on a touch and go; normally on a fixed pitch prop say a 172 you feel the the power come, stick in a little right boot and lift it off. On a 182 especially if it's light once you hit around 45 kts there's a real kick in the back as the prop starts to work at it's optimum, you can certainly feel those 235 hp.

Last edited by thing; 16th Aug 2013 at 03:03.