PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF VC10 - Great Memories
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2013, 22:53
Gerontocrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeing the ref to MedMan flights above reminded me.
Mid-1980 and I had, by then, transferred to an Armoured Regiment which was leading a MedMan battlegroup. For my sins, somebody with a sense of humour, probably the Regt Adjt (currently Black Rod, BTW) knowing I had been through Sleaford Tech, rather than the Camberley Factory, had nominated me - a Capt - as Movements Officer for the battlegroup.
One of the two 10 Sqn aircraft allocated to the return move had gone t**s up in Keflavik on an earlier chalk - thoroughly p*****g of our CO who had not read Standing Orders and failed to carry his green maggot with him, ensuring him an uncomfortable night at Keflavik - and I had had to reallocate all remaining pax chalks to the single aircraft a munificent 38 Grp had left us.
As Mover, I, naturally, travelled back to GUT on the last chalk. This meant I was on an aircraft that was, at best, half full.
When we boarded at Calgary, a (I have to admit, rather officious) FltSgt informed all embarking pax: "All brown jobs down the back, and fill up all seats down there."
To me, this didn't sound quite right - half full aircraft!: there should have been a few places to stretch out, at least. (And I wasn't totally ignorant of the need to trim the aircraft, either.)
Despite my protests, he was adamant - and that not totally politely.
I gently asked to speak to the Captain. This august personage turned out to be a chap who had been a QFI at ULAS during my time there, and with whom I had flown a fair few times when visiting Abingdon.
Net result was we did get to stretch out, a good flight was enjoyed, we were well looked after, and my stock with the troops went up no end!

Last edited by Gerontocrat; 15th Aug 2013 at 23:30.