PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2013, 18:19
Danny42C

Chugalug,

Thank you for the encouraging words, but it still remains true that the story is basically conjecture. Yet: "If it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck, and quacks like a duck.....!" The aircraft behaved exactly as our theory predicted, after all......D.

Molemot, Smudgsmith and MPN11,

I think I'll pass up on this one ! And thank you, Molemot, for the link to the picture. I can see that it might very well do as a shepherd's hut (or a climber's refuge if a chopper could get it up the mountain), or a seaside chalet (if you could get it past the Council). Otherwise I wish them luck with it.

More interesting is the question of what was it ? It has windows, so it's for people, not a radar truck. A rest caravan for an MPN-1 or CPN-4 ? No, they always huddled behind the Trucks out of danger from wayward landing aircraft (who'd always hit the Truck first), so they were left blue-grey. Ground crew at Dispersal ? Could be, but I think they'd be more likely to be left dull, too - as they wouldn't be on the grass inside the taxiway.

A Runway Control van ? No.., or so I thought at first. All the ones I recall were prime movers; when you want them at the other end ASAP, you can't be doing with finding a tractor, getting it out there, taking it down off jacks, etc, coupling up. Life's too short - and W/Cdrs (Flying) too irascible.

Then, roaming around the Net somewhere, I found a longer specimen than ours, but a towable 2-wheel caravan with some windows and the little glasshouse up top (on ours, I reckon it's hidden in the picture or been chopped off). I tried to copy the picture, but it wouldn't play.

So, for my money, that's our boy. (Is there a Runway Controller in the House ?).......D.

Mrs D. has just given me a haircut, so I'm feeling light-headed. Will pour a couple of large sherries.

Cheers to all, Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 15th Aug 2013 at 21:22. Reason: Addition.