PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to Navigate visually??
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2003, 02:40
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Hope this doesn't sound too much like telling you how to suck eggs:
Go clock to map to ground.

Orientate the map so that the direction you're going is at the top.

Use big dog's balls features to lead your eyes into the small ones.
Use funnel features if there are any, like roads, rivers, railway lines.

Plan for pinpoints at convenient positions along track legs; obvious features, so you get an accurate picture early on of what the wind's doing to you, with respect to both timing and track.

Either work out your groundspeed to revise ETAs, or use proportional nav - ie, I'm 2 minutes late 1/3 of the way along the leg, so I should be 6 minutes late at the end.

Know your usual cruise TAS in nm/min to work out where you should be along track at any particular time (I usually adjust for wind by using a percentage method - ie if I cruised at 140 KTAS and there's about a 10 kt headwind, I should be doing 130 kt over the ground, or 2 miles a minute plus (roughly) 10 percent. So if I've been on the leg for say 16 minutes, I should have gone about 32 + 3.2 nm along track, call it 35 miles.

Know how to use the 1 in 60 rule (or whatever you want to use) to give you accurate heading adjustments for wind - eg at a pinpoint, you find you're 2 miles off track after 40 miles along. That's 3 in 60, therefore change heading 3 degrees to parallel track. To get back on track in, say, 20 miles, you need to make up 2 miles across track in 20 which equates to 6 in 60, so change heading another 6 degrees to start converging back to track. Total heading change required 9 degrees. Then when you're back on track, the 'parallel track' heading should work.

Have a cruise nav cycle planning for a pinpoint every 15 - 20 minutes, or whatever time interval you want.

Do a standard check at every turn point - something like FCLEAR - Fuel, Compass(es), Log, Engine, Altimeter, Radio (Calls, airspace etc.)

Apologies for preaching if it's stuff you already do!