PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs in Africa (2011 onwards) part 3.
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2013, 12:49
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That makes us even, I guess...

I'm not a German!

I, too, have had some experience of the wonderful world of corporate aviation in the States, along with a few other things too, and I can assure you that the average, dimbulb aviation manager is very impressed by a degree, any degree. Or else he's some retired military puke with his own BS, who wants to see at least a degree before grudgingly agreeing that non-military pilots might just merit a place in the grand scheme of things.

(Always remember: Not everyone in aviation is an S.O.B., but all of the S.O.B.s are in aviation. That bit of wisdom shall be both a comfort and a help when undergoing a job interview, assuming one even gets that far.)

Stupid people usually cannot tell the difference, so that they often just go by whatever shows up on the CV, leading off with that BA or BS. That gets one in the door; afterwards one can show that one must be the world's greatest pilot, or, better yet, a common or garden variety @ss-kisser.

If one is just starting out, then it's relatively easy to retreat from hard, cold reality, to go back to school to do an undergraduate degree. Later, that becomes very, very difficult for reasons both practical and emotional. Between chasing an elusive job as a bush pilot in Africa, with low hours and very little practical experience, or simply sorting out a slot in our vast American system of higher education, at age 19, I know which one is more likely to bear the better return for the amount of money and effort involved. So you start back into the job search at age 23 instead of age 19; that is going to make much less of a difference than having a college degree compared to having none.

Last edited by chuks; 15th Aug 2013 at 13:01.