PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs in Africa (2011 onwards) part 3.
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2013, 06:55
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Were you the Irishman I heard about, the one who emigrated and raised the average Irish IQ by two points? You used a comma splice in your lead-off sentence, meant, I suppose, to show your superior knowledge of the world. So be it....

The fellow who asked the original question is a US national, and my reply was meant to be US-specific, that there's no useful distinction, in the USA, between a college and a university in terms of the quality of the learning experience. You may find a very good college, a place where you can be deeply engaged in the learning process, or you may find a very so-so university, pretty much just a diploma mill. You cannot expect that a US university shall offer better learning than a US college. I have both direct and close, indirect experience of these things, not being from either Ireland or Hong Kong.

Again from direct experience, many US employers prefer "a college degree." That can be in underwater basket-weaving, although, of course, something aviation-related would be better if one is looking for work in aviation. There's a prevalent mindset that someone with a college degree, any degree, is simply a better, smarter person than someone else with just a high school diploma. If you can get in, and if you can afford it, Harvard or Yale is tops, certainly, but even a humble state school or university will get you that sheepskin you may later need to get an airline job, assuming that the world of the future still offers airline jobs.

What one thinks of as "bush flying..." was done with a Super Cub, not with a modern Cessna 208! A Caravan is a very expensive piece of kit, so that you are going to be confronted with a lot of stuff that makes the job you shall be doing nothing like the traditional image of bush flying.