PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana Crash Investigation
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2013, 18:30
peakcrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@shot one -

Why are the majority of these posts so negative? Almost all passengers survived what could easily have been a total calamity despite the massive impact(s) and extensive structural damage.
To an extent I agree with you. I'm heavily involved in motorsport, and have to keep explaining to people that yes, the accidents look bad, but the same accidents would have been fatal not so long ago but are now "walk-aways" because of the improvements in safety devices and scrutineering. However, regardless of the relatively low death and injury list in the Asiana crash, there is always something to be learned. There is at least some argument that only having lap-straps is insufficient, and it is good to air opinions on this (even though, as someone will come along and point out, no-one pays any attention to people on here anyway). Even seat design is a valid discussion point - how can you get a reasonable level of comfort for passengers whilst maximising safety? Fixed backs and thin/no cushions *are* safer than seats with moving parts under certain circumstances, though when the fixed seat-back is in front of the bag of fluid in the next row, the argument is far from clear-cut.

It is interesting, mentioning seats, that there may be a legal case starting over differential safety (thanks for that, ExSp33db1rd). I had wondered if that might happen, what with this being the USA. I don't necessarily agree with it, and the case will definitely be worth following (for years, probably, since whatever decision is reached initially will be appealed ad nauseam), but there could be significant repercussions from this crash.

There are some safety that aren't being discussed much here that I will be interested to see when the report comes out, though, such as the inflating slides. Whilst it is possible that deployment was due to deformation of the frame, I'm waiting to see what, if any, recommendations come out.