PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proposal for a Mil history/nostalgia thread
Old 14th Aug 2013, 12:30
teeteringhead

Gentleman Aviator

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts
Such changes/innovations - like many others - have been suggested before. But whether it's the subjects of threads or the status of those who contribute you might wish to restrict, how on earth would you enforce/police it?

And the devil is in the detail. Could a retired person - who might now work for an arms manufacturer - not contribute to a "current ops" thread. Contrariwise, would a serving person not be "allowed" to contribute to a "nostalgia" thread??

Some threads have a long life - like it or not. As an example, a quick look tells me that BEag's first contribution to the WEBER thread was in Apr 2006, when IIRC he was still serving. His latest was last night! Should he have removed himself at some time to coincide with retirement?

I have always liked the comparison of this forum with a good Happy Hour. Many people - serving and retired - many conversations from the erudite to the frankly silly. But the random conversations have one thing in common. You are not obliged to join any of them!

I might listen to the current ops conversation and be impressed by the young lads and ladettes just back from the "sandpit". I would certainly listen - as I hope the youngsters would - to the 90 year old Polish Hon Mem telling us real war stories. I probably wouldn't listen to conversations about pensions or march-outs! That's my choice

But all the conversations are in the same bar! So we have here a one stop shop for diverse "conversation" - and fun! Why change?

Last edited by teeteringhead; 14th Aug 2013 at 12:31.