PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 14th Aug 2013, 10:52
sapco2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whichever training route you choose it's all a bit of a lucky dip for anyone not having the luxury of joining an airline sponsorship scheme.

I accompanied my son on visit to CTC on one of their open days in Southampton and we both left there feeling highly sceptical about their work placement ideas. He then visited FTE in Jerez and this resulted in a placement offer. His FTE contract arrived extremely late (just before his start date in fact) but it didn't match what he had been told at interview so on my advice he ditched that idea too.

He went on to complete his training via the modular route and he tells me he is really glad he did it that way. He felt in control of his spend, he surprised himself with his ability to self study and he organised his own training program, which gave him a huge sense of personal satisfaction. Overall he feels he has learnt far more about the industry by doing it the modular way.

Join a bona-fide airline sponsorship scheme if you're able would be my humble advice. Failing that there seems to be no benefit in paying all that extra money to do an integrated course on a half promise of a job at the end of it. I do not accept the assertion that prospective employers discriminate against modular graduates and that is based on the fact that I fly with many good co-pilots from both training backgrounds - the split seems to be about even I'd say!