PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V-Force dispersal query
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2013, 09:08
tantalite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Dispersal experiences

I joined in 1967 as a Gen Mech, did the training and off to Waddo. In Feb '68 I was detached to Machrihanish to the MBD facility. I was 18 and enjoyed the experience and responsibility. There was a three man permanent staff, Sgt Malcolm Dobson, an MT Fitt, SAC Fred Sharley a Ground Electrician and myself a Gen Mech. Spent a year there, had one Mick and one Mickey Finn. Malcolm was posted to Singapore where he sadly died, had a couple of temp MT Fitts and in Jan/Feb '69 myself Fred and Sgt 'Tug' Wilson closed the dispersal shipping most of the equipment to Cottesmore for 9Sqdn departure to Cyprus.
Me COs rec and a fitters course after which I did a year at Valley which was where I learnt Sub Aqua and did little else for a year, posted to Goose Bay but did a quick relief detachment at Leuchars.
Waddo had, Wattisham, Brawdy, Yeovilton, Manston, and forget some of the others as dispersals in my days.
One good memory was at Leuchars, remember launching a bird with the earthing cable still attached, renaming 43 Sqdn the Fighting Cooks and kidnapping their Cockerel, which was repatriated after our support Argosy, I hitched a lift home for the weekend, was stopped on the runway for negotiations prior to departure to Waddo!!
Good times, good memories!!