PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 14th Aug 2013, 08:01
contacttower118.2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"If my parents are willing to pay Intergrated why should consider modular"
To be fair as much as smartguy has wound people up the wrong way on this thread that is a completely legitimate question. If you or your parents genuinely have the money and you have the time then integrated probably is the way to go...

Ryanair will always look for external candidates, A story on the FTE merged "Friend of mine graduated, Had an assessment with FR he failed the assessment has no current job and has a loan of 1k a month to pay back" don't be fooled by FTOs if you think you've a better chance of getting a job intergrated your greatly mistaken, Everyone gets THE SAME LICENCES just some people pay way over the odds for them..
But will Ryanair always look for external candidates? CAE have a vested interest in getting their graduates jobs...

As I said before I have nothing to base this on but my own intuition but now that CAE own OAA I can only see that relationship getting stronger. Of course it does not guarantee anyone graduating from OAA a job with Ryanair but it seems pretty obvious to me that people coming from OAA have a significant advantage over external candidates because CAE know what Ryanair like, the OAA course includes 40hrs in the 737 sim and the careers department have an established connection to the process.

As for everyone getting the same licences well that is of course true but what you are paying for at OAA/CTC is not to get a different licence but all the shiny facilities like the full motion sims, the airline connections and of course the name...value that as you will...

Of course there will always be those unfortunate integrated grads who fail to get anything and then have to face the pain of their training loan.

In essence this is how I see it...

This whole flight training thing is a bit like gambling; you pay more to CTC for the likelihood of winning more in a faster period of time...in all likelihood you will get lucky but there is always a chance you will fail big time. Fail at the final stage or get a six month contract and then nothing and you are back to square one and the loan comes to bite you in the bottom.

If you go modular you might not have to borrow, you have gambled less but to be honest the chances of quick success are lower. You can wait though, and maybe work at other things in the mean time. You might be waiting a long time because opportunities for 250hrs pilots with no MPA time are few and far between. You might get lucky with Aer Lingus or DHL but who knows, you could instruct in Scotland for a while and end up at Loganair for example or you might end up finding IR renewals too expensive and giving up...

Question is smartguy how lucky are you feeling...?