PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Head in the Clouds - Eventually
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2013, 07:59
gasax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Shaggy has pretty well encapsulated why a career in aviation may not be what it once was.

I have a couple of firends of a 'certain age' who work for the LOCOs, their 'disadvantage' is that they have worked for whay they call 'proper airlines' and the changes in their circumstances have been painful.

My approach to flying has been to treat it as a leisure pastime, even when I had the opportunity to treat it as a professsion over 20 years ago I was advised that it would probably kill the pleasure I still get from it. Much wiser words than I ever appreciated, when I listen to my mates complaining about manager who communicate with them by text and email and where rotas are 'very fluid'.

But you have to want to get up in the morning and go to work. So if you hate what you are doing it can be very difficult. However you are now in a place where there are some rewards for working. Do you want to go and compete with people who will literally 'fly for food' being supported by either large loans or indulgent parents? The archtypical comment of 'how do you make a small fortune in aviation? - Start with a large one!' has always held true. I know a guy who has spent most of his life instructing and loved it - but as he freely admits it has left him with little in the way of money and the change in the rules for ATOs has caught him just as he was retiring so he is now making a living doing odd jobs as he cannot set up for himself.....

So my advice is take option 3 and see if you can find any redeeming features of your current career.