PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs in Africa (2011 onwards) part 3.
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2013, 06:11
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that a college degree is a very good idea. That shows a certain level of intelligence and application (Sitzfleisch in German) and it is often required of applicants for major airlines, or at least it used to be. "College" or "university" is a meaningless distinction in US terms. I just finished a degree at a very small (330 students) college that is far better than many universities. (Compare Marlboro College to Towson State University to see what I mean.)

Do you suppose that a young African in your position would expect to travel to America to get a job? So, what makes you think that Africa needs you, as a newbie? 30 or 40 years ago, maybe, but today there are plenty of indigenes who are just as qualified as you are to work in Africa. You might as well read Ragged Dick the Match Boy and travel to New York to make your fortune.

I remember meeting one poor soul who had showed up in Nigeria expecting to find the streets paved with gold; his Nigerian student had told him how easy jobs were to find, there. Wrong!