PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proposal for a Mil history/nostalgia thread
Old 13th Aug 2013, 19:51
TomJoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smujsmith
MPN11,

A small addendum.

I joined this forum after spending months reading a thread called "Did you fly Vulcans". I never flew them, but did work on them a bit, and have (or had) a Q- AVUL-A on my docs. I was spellbound by the stuff those bloody fly boys used to do with the end product of my grafting, and I never knew the half of what my labour on that fleet was done for. I, probably like many ex Groundcrew can read stuff like that all day, but to interact with the people who did it, ask pertinent questions etc is a real bonus. Since joining this forum I've always appreciated people's tolerance of what sometimes may appear to be a stupid question, none have ever said that though. Finally, in the past few months, and through my activity on the forum I have reconnected with several people who I had the honour, and pleasure to serve with years ago, that's priceless.

Smudge I'm sure there is some Philosophical name for the analysis you have just used there to counter the proposition. I have no idea what it is though But I agree and identify with your thoughts wholeheartedly. You have highlighted the value of the ex service membership, how it actually enriches the forum and in turn how the forum benefits the Duffers, old, practice or otherwise. I recall the posting about the American Spitfire (Recce) pilot who was traced by someone who had a 35mm film of his crash landing during the War. That posting and the movie reduced me to tears, as have others which tell a similar story of the character of the men and women who have served and continue to serve their country in the forces. Likewise the wee boy who only in the last few days or so wore a red flight suit and got to see the Red Arrows. You are absolutely correct this place is priceless and long may it continue. The banner may say or imply currently serving but as the saying goes - rules, obedience, fools and wise men. I invoked that, guess as we all did, frequently throughout my service, so why break the habit! So I guess unless the EU introduce some rule that bans me from the site I'm gonna stay - i'll get the Daily Mail on my side

There I am no longer feeling sensitive or in a lonely place. I'm still not old either