PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Head in the Clouds - Eventually
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2013, 12:19
ianwild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've flown in Florida. It didn't seem that much cheaper, although I was certainly able to rent nicer aircraft for the same money.

It's pretty obvious speaking to some professional pilots that it's possible to love flying commercially and not get bored, but it seems there's a lot of competition for the jobs and many people prepared to work for little money after funding their own training. That's what you're competing against and unless there is a sudden surge in demand for pilots I don't see it changing.

My chosen route is to keep my options open while working on a career in IT. Having come to it late I've learnt to fly via a PPL, IMC etc. With some careful budgeting and liberal use of a Visa card while the weather was good and the opportunity was there I've learnt a lot and nearly logged enough hours to begin thinking about the CPL as a real possibility. I just want to keep learning and will see what happens. So long as I enjoy the journey then finding something income generating that ticks my boxes at the end would be a bonus.

My biggest fear about relying on flying for a living is the need for a class 1 medical, which as far as I can tell means any crappy little life event or illness can remove your options for good. I know a couple of somewhat decrepit legal bods who practice very successfully in their senior years...

But hey, don't let anyone here put you off - if you want it enough it's a much more achievable goal than it looks at the start of a PPL course.

Ian