PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Head in the Clouds - Eventually
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2013, 07:30
abgd

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Is law a well paying profession these days? I hear things can be very hard still when you're starting out.

A few years ago I... didn't really consider flying as an option, but would have done so if I had the funds. Like Adam Frisch, I suspect that I might have ended up being bored. On the other hand, I work in a profession (Medicine) that doesn't give you much personal time. One of the things I really liked about the idea of piloting, was that it seems to be the only profession left where your hours are reasonably well controlled and where you might have the option of feeling fulfilled outside of your profession.

If you were to change your mind and come back to law later, would you be able to? Certainly from medicine it's pretty much a one-way move, partly because you lose skills quickly, and partly for bureaucratic reasons. For law, I don't know.

When I was working near London I was continually exhausted. Everyone was working 80 hours a week and being paid for 45, and it didn't seem to get better as your career progressed. Out in the provinces where life is less competitive, people seem to manage better. I know of a local GP who has a working fishing boat, and a number have smallholdings working reduced hours.

Something I have considered in the future, when I have more time, is instructing - I enjoy teaching in a medical setting, and suspect that I would enjoy instructing more than most other forms of paid flying anyway. I've met people with other demanding careers who seem to fit it in part-time. Personally, of your options, I'd think about going a modular route. You're not burning your bridges that way and you're less likely to get yourself into a financially tricky situation.