PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2013, 20:35
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Danny:-
I told Chugalug many moons ago, when this my tale was yet in its infancy. That is, I am not, and in no way hold myself out to be, any form of authority on this (or most other) subjects. It is nearly all hearsay and therefore not evidence.
You may well say that Danny, but I can most certainly comment that you are held as a very reliable and informative authority on your subject by we avid followers of your posts. You dot the i's and cross the t's, so that time and time again we respond with a "So that's why that was", or " I always wondered why they did that, now at last I understand".
So it is with this terrible story of the LHR Vulcan. Your explanation certainly has the ring of truth for me, especially as you see it as a combination of causes; an intent to land for a very important RAF occasion, and a simple yet deadly weakness in this very first generation of GCA. Just one of those not being present might have avoided the outcome, but once again the holes in the infamous slices of cheese coincided and their fate was sealed.
For want of a deckle the aircraft was lost...