PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheapest place in europe for conversion?
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2013, 20:09
Transsonic2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there,

This is a general reply to the previous posts, in particular to the starter of this thread.

well, before you can start with the practical part of the conversion you first have to pass the theoretical exams and that's the biggest obstacle of the entire conversion! Don't underestimate it, a lot of people do!

I opted to do the theoretical part of the conversion in Switzerland via distance learning (online course), since I'm exempt from attending any classroom courses. When I started I thought it'll save me money and time, but looking back I'd probably wouldn't do it again, because it's quite difficult to keep up the motivation during the entire length of the course, especially as a "lone-warrior". I must admit, I certainly underestimated that. If I'd have to choose again, I'd most likely try to find a full-time classroom course provider.

Regrading the practical part of the conversion, I did a lot of research and came to the same conclusion (as already mentioned in this thread) that you'll find the best prices in Poland.

Oh yes, before I forget, here are the preliminary costs so far:
  • Online course registration fee: 3300 CHF (~ 2680 €)
  • Final exam fees: 605 CHF (~ 491 €) - each time you go, independent on number of subjects you take
  • Books: I already had the books (otherwise around 1000 € for new books)
  • Oxford CD's (JAA ATPL): ~ 600 € (don't have the complete course)
  • JAA/EASA First Class Medical: 500 € (~ 100 € in Poland)
  • My budget for the practial part: ~ 5000 € (still to come, planing to do it in Poland)
  • MCC course (FSB Berlin): ~ 2000 € (still to come)
  • total: ~ 10.800 € (in my opinion a pretty reasonable price)

Last edited by Transsonic2000; 12th Aug 2013 at 20:47.