PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Head in the Clouds - Eventually
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2013, 18:34
flytheskies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Head in the Clouds - Eventually

I am writing on here, as many do, seeking your wisdom and clarity on life as a commercial airline pilot in the UK.

A bit of background on me:

I’m 26 and will be 27 in December.

I come from a family of lawyers. My father is a lawyer, my uncles are all lawyers and my grandfather was a lawyer. Hence, at the tender age of 19 I decided to get a law degree and pursue the family ‘dream’. I successfully completed my degree and finished with a 2:1. I then went on to achieve a 73% average in my Bar finals and am now a barrister.

The only problem, is that I know – deep down – it isn’t what I want to do. I dislike it so much. The pressure from my family was immense and when I suggested (at 19) to my dad that I wanted to fly he asked me why I wanted to be a ‘glorified bus driver’. That, as well as the prospect of not having a degree, was enough to put me off at 19.

I was in the CCF RAF for a number of years and had the opportunity to fly almost once a month during my time there. It was here that I got the bug for flying and it hasn’t left me.

I am now in the process of gathering as much information as possible in order to decide what the best course of action in my life is going to be. That’s where you come in.

I have read a few posts on here and am overwhelmed by the vast, differing opinions of the industry. Hence why I have set this thread up.

I need some clear advice on everything - from medicals to where to train and how to fund it. I am sure there are a number of options but honestly, I dont know where to start.

Initially, I have a friend finishing a degree at Kingston University at the following link: Aviation Studies for Commercial Pilot Training Foundation Degree FdEng and top-up year BSc(Hons) - Clearing 2013 entry course - London undergraduate courses - Kingston University London

She speaks very highly of it. What do you, the experts, think?

The other options are as follows:

1. Find a loan and fund flying school (Oxford, CTC etc.) myself. This will be very difficult financially.

2. Go to Florida and qualify there. Does anyone know what the implications are of qualifying in the States and returning to pursue a career in the UK? Is this possible? I've heard it's cheaper - but if so, why doesnt everyone do it? I was thinking of this place as another one of my friends is there now: Flight School, Airline Pilot Training in Florida, USA - Phoenix East Aviation

3. Do a PPL and build my license on a modular basis over the next few years.

I am sure I have missed options. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.