PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Major breach of security at LGW !!
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2003, 14:12
Haul By Cable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I, too, think that people whose immediate reaction is to call for the driver and journalist to be prosecuted, are completely missing the point.

If a civilian jounalist can carry out this kind of operation, then a ruthless terrorist would have no difficulty at all.

Despite the fact that these guys profited financially, they have done us a service by highlighting the fact that the security agencies are focussing their efforts in the wrong areas.

I personally have gained no comfort whatsoever from the supposed 'heightened security' as I get the impression that most of it is purely for show - and focussed around the passengers, who can see it.

I hope that as a result of the embarrassment caused by this tabloid article and others like it, the government will do something effective to improve security at our airports.

I think that these tabloid activities hit the authorities in the right way, as I have never been deluded in to believing that they actually have a concience, or a conviction to 'do the right thing'. They mostly only respond to political embarrassment or the threat of losing money.